Research participants are needed for the following studies, which will be ongoing through 2016. For more information, please see the contact information below.
Study #1: Memory and Self-Care in Adolescents and Young Adults with Congenital Heart Disease (CHD)
The purpose of the study is gain a better understanding of memory / cognition and other topics that may be related to self-care in adolescents / young adults who have undergone surgery for a heart defect compared to a group without congenital heart disease.
- Ages 14-21 years, with any type of CHD and have undergone surgical repair
- Ages 14-21 years, with NO CHD, no chronic medical or psychiatric conditions (for a healthy control group). Siblings and/or friends are welcome.
- Questionnaire completion on sleep, anxiety, depression, self-efficacy, social support, and self-care (1 hr) and Memory Testing (1 hr), approximately 2 hours total for study completion (most finish in 1 hr and 20 minutes).
- UCLA School of Nursing OR
- Your home or cardiologist office
Participants of Study #1 will receive a $30 dollar Target gift card upon completion.
Study #2: Memory and Brain Structure in Adolescents with Single Ventricle Heart Disease
The purpose of the study is gain a better understanding of memory / cognition and the areas of the brain affected in adolescents who have undergone surgery for single ventricle heart disease compared to a group without congenital heart disease.
- Ages 14-18 years, any type of single ventricle heart disease who have undergone Fontan completion
- Ages 14-18 with NO CHD (for healthy control group.) Siblings and friends are welcome.
- Telephone interview to screen for MRI eligibility
- Memory Testing (1 hr) and Brain MRI scan (25 minutes) = approximately 1 ½ hrs for study completion
Location: UCLA 300 Medical Plaza Outpatient MRI Suite
(Tthis study is funded through the National Institute of Health (NIH) R01 grant)
Participants of Study #2 will receive a $200 dollar check upon completion, and a copy of brain MRI scan on a DVD
Please note: Qualified candidates may participate in both studies, and receive compensation for both ($30 gift card and $200 check.)
For more information, please contact:
Principal Investigator: Dr. Nancy Pike
(Please mention that you were referred by California Heart Connection.)